This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
This easy lasagna comes together quickly and uses just 6 ingredients. It’s a hit in our house, and I’m sure you will love this super easy lasagna too!
Lasagna is such a great comfort food! The cheese, the pasta, the sauce. What’s not to love? It doesn’t have to be fancy or time consuming to make.
This easy lasagna recipe is quick to make and bakes in just 45 minutes. With only 6 simple ingredients that you likely have on hand, this delicious easy lasagna is budget friendly too!
Looking for ways to make your dollars stretch in the kitchen? Check out how to meal plan on a budget.
Easy Lasagna Recipe: Budget Friendly and Just 6 Ingredients!Jump to Recipe
I love to use a deep and wide pan when making this lasagna. There’s enough cooking room to properly cook the meat and enough depth for all the sauce.
The Noodles for Easy Lasagna
I love using these Barilla oven-ready noodles! Not only does this cut down the time it takes to prep this easy lasagna, but it’s also one less pan to wash. You can use any lasagna noodles you prefer, or even replace the pasta with zucchini for a gluten free, keto friendly version. You will likely not need the whole box of noodles.
This recipe calls for ground beef. You want some fat in your beef because it adds so much flavor. Don’t worry, there’s no draining the grease or putting the grease right into the lasagna. You will cook off some of that fat before adding in the sauce.
To cook off the fat, the meat will be caramelized over high heat at the end of the cooking process. Do this carefully as grease splatters. You can see in the above photos how the much the fat cooks down.
Although the recipe is for ground beef, I have made this easy lasagna with ground turkey, ground beef, ground pork and Italian sausage. Just be aware that the leaner the meat is, the less flavor you will have in your sauce. I suggest sprucing it up with fresh or dried herbs if you use an extra lean meat.
The Garlic in Easy Lasagna
As you may know from reading other recipes I’ve posted, I am not a huge fan of jarred garlic. I always prefer fresh garlic, and I usually always press the garlic to save time. However, both garlics work in this recipe, but I strongly encourage you to use fresh garlic (and lots of it!).
RELATED: Garlic Lovers Baked Ziti
Sorry, this is not a homemade sauce recipe. What makes this lasagna easy is that you are using jarred sauce. Grab a couple jars of your favorite sauce and call it good!
Not all mozzarella is the same. I am a cheese kind of girl, and my favorite mozzarella by far is the Kirkland mozzarella you can find at Costco. Buying the cheese in bulk helps to make this easy lasagna budget friendly because you are going to be using a lot of it!
This recipe calls for 4 cups of mozzarella since the cheesy goodness is a big part of what makes a lasagna so satisfying. If you prefer to use less cheese, I recommend using less of it in the layers and keeping the amount of cheese the same on top of the lasagna.
Adding Other Ingredients
Sometimes I add in finely diced crimini mushrooms with the meat. Two of my family members do not like mushrooms, but they don’t know they’re in the sauce. The mushroom are added at the same time as the garlic and are seasoned with salt and pepper. They are so delicious when caramelized with the meat! Fresh basil is also a delicious edition to the sauce.
How to Layer a Lasagna
Layering a lasagna is super simple. Basically, it is just a matter of putting down noodles, then meat, then cheese, and repeat. This really is an easy recipe!
A Note on Cooking Steps
You may notice I create a lot of steps in my recipes. This is because I like to keep each step simple so you can easily pick up the next one when you are looking back and forth between the food you are preparing and the steps involved in cooking it. It’s just how my brain works, and maybe yours does too.
- 1 medium onion
- 8-10 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 jars pasta sauce
- 1 box oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°. Dice the onion and peel and press the garlic.
- Step 2: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, coat the pan with a thin layer of olive oil and add the onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the garlic. Cook 1 more minute.
- Step 3: Add the meat and season it with salt and pepper. Continue to cook the meat on medium heat until most of it is no longer pink. Turn the heat up to between medium high and high, depending on your stove, to caramelize the meat. Stir the meat every 2 minutes until most of the grease is burned off and the meat crisps on the outside. Be careful not to burn the meat.
- Step 4: Add both jars of sauce, reserving about 1 cup of sauce for later. Mix together.
- Step 5: Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 pan. Top with a layer of noodles and sprinkle with cheese.
- Step 6: Top the noodles with half of the meat sauce. Add a layer of cheese on top of this. Then place another layer of noodles with a sprinkle of cheese, the rest of the meat sauce and more cheese.
- Step 7: Place the final layer of noodles of top. Spread out the reserved cup of sauce from step 4 and top generously with cheese. Tent the lasagna with foil.
- Step 8: Cook covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then serve hot!
OTHER POSTS YOU MAY LIKE