This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission if you purchase through my link, at no extra cost to you. Read the full disclosure here.
Taquitos are a go-to favorite in our house. Simple ingredients make these delicious homemade taquitos easy to make, moist and flavorful!
A traditional Mexican food dish, taquitos are corn tortillas that are rolled up and filled with chicken or beef and cheese. They are a similar to a rolled soft chicken taco, only crispy.
We use a Mexican salsa verde sauce in our homemade taquitos that makes the chicken deliciously moist. This homemade taquito recipe is budget friendly and makes a large batch.
Delicious Homemade TaquitosJump to Recipe
Meat has more flavor when braised, and you notice it in this taquito recipe since the ingredients are super simple. Sprinkle the meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder, then sear in a cast iron pan coated with oil for a minute or two on each side. The chicken will cook thoroughly in the instant pot and is easily shredded once done.
You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts in this homemade taquito recipe. We usually use whatever we happen to have on hand.
I highly recommend using a cast iron pan for searing the chicken. It heats evenly and retains the heat, creating the perfect searing environment. An instant pot is also perfect for cooking moist chicken. Add chicken broth instead of water for more flavor. Once the chicken is cooked, strain the broth from the bottom of the instant pot into a jar and you have broth to use again in the future! We pop these jars right into the freezer (leaving room at the top for expansion).
The Sauce for Homemade Taquitos
Herdez salsa verde is a green Mexican salsa. It is packed with flavor and adds moisture to the chicken mixture. You can also use green chili enchilada sauce too. It’s thinner and less flavorful in my opinion, but will work in this recipe and may be easier to find depending on your location.
Mexican-style blend cheese is the best option for homemade taquitos. It’s a mixture of monterey jack, Mexican cheddar, queso quesadilla and asadero cheeses. Although I’m a huge fan of the farm-style cuts, a finely shredded cheese works really well in this recipe.
You may like What To Buy At Costco: Things That Save You Money!
The Tortillas: Prepping & Filling for Taquitos
The corn tortillas need to be warmed and slightly wet so that they don’t break open while rolling and cooking. You can heat them with cooking spray on a large skillet like we do or in the microwave wrapped in damp paper towels. Fresh, pliable corn tortillas work best for homemade taquitos.
When you fill the taquitos, place the chicken mixture on the edge of the tortilla and roll it toward the empty side like pictured above.
Baking Homemade Taquitos
Although typically fried, baking these taquitos speeds up the cooking process significantly. They can all be placed in the oven at once instead of batch frying. Taquitos are traditionally fried and you certainly may do so with this recipe as well.
A Note on Cooking Steps
You may notice I create a lot of steps in my recipes. This is because I like to keep each step simple so you can easily pick up the next one when you are looking back and forth between the food you are preparing and the steps involved in cooking it. It’s just how my brain works, and maybe yours does too.
Delicious Homemade Taquitos
- 3 lbs chicken breast or thighs
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 16 oz salsa verde
- 30 corn tortillas
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- salt to preference
- pepper to preference
- garlic powder to preference
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Step 1: Preheat oven to 400°. Heat cast iron skillet on high. Season the chicken breast generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Step 2: Add oil to the skillet, then carefully place the chicken in the oil and braise for 1-2 minutes until browned. Flip the chicken and repeat.
- Step 3: Add liquid to the instant pot and place chicken in the pot, using the rack. Steam for 10 minutes. Chicken should be cooked thoroughly.
- Step 4: While the chicken cooks, warm the tortillas (see above). Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Step 5: Shred the chicken and mix in the cheese, salsa verde and chili powder. Place approximately ¼ cup chicken mixture on the edge of a tortilla and roll the tortilla to the empty edge(taquito should be filled and plump). Put the rolled taquito on the baking tray. Repeat.
- Step 6: Bake the taquitos for 20 minutes or until the tortillas start to brown. Top with your favorite salsa and enjoy!
OTHER POSTS YOU MAY LIKE